Abbott Laboratories

Company Score

+1.90
Industry Health Care Equipment & Services
Country United States
Year Added 2018
Impact Ratings 894
Impact Notes 23
SDG Covered 11 out of 17

Abbott Laboratories is an American medical device and health care company headquartered in Illinois, United States. The company sells medical devices, diagnostics, branded generic medicines, and nutritional products. Its well-known products across the medical devices, diagnostics, and nutrition product divisions are Pedialyte, Similac, Ensure, Glucerna, ZonePerfect, FreeStyle Libre, i-STAT, and MitraClip. Abbott employs 103,000 people worldwide.

Read about Abbott Laboratories and its impact below.

Impact notes

Affordable and Clean Energy

Abbott used 3,748,611 MWh of energy in 2019, equal to the annual electricity usage of 448,732 homes

Profile Benazir Thanveer
Icon time Thu Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:48pm

In 2019, the United States consumed 3.3 billion MWh of energy, of which renewable energy accounted for about 11%, and the remaining 89% of the energy was from non-renewable resources1. Non-renewable energy sources increase the GHG gases, thereby altering the atmosphere of the earth2.

Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions

Abbott Laboratories paid US$25 million to settle bribery allegations to prescribe TriCor in 2018

Profile Ankita Chatterjee
Icon time Mon Aug 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm

According to ProPublica, between 2014 and 2018, pharmaceutical companies spent approximately $2.1 billion to $2.2 billion paying doctors for prescribing and recommending their drugs and devices. Roughly, over 600,000 doctors receive payment from pharmaceutical companies each year3. Big Pharma companies are known to bribe physicians to prescribe their drugs13.

Good Health and Well-being

Abbott is helping to make roads safer by bringing leading technology for drug testing

Profile carmencarmona
Icon time Thu Jun 4th, 2020 at 11:12am

Part of the SDG´s goals is to reduce the number of global deaths and injuries from road traffic accidents. 1 As marijuana legalization gathers momentum, especially in the U.S. and Canada, legislators and police officers are committed to keeping roads safe from the growing problem of drug-impaired drivers. According to a 2016 report, the number of drug-related driving deaths in the U.S has risen by more than 50 percent compared to a decade ago, and one-third of respondents (33%) personally know someone who has driven a car soon after taking drugs. 2,3

Good Health and Well-being

Abbott has delivered 2 billion diagnostic tests in 2018

Profile mq_amit
Icon time Wed May 13th, 2020 at 1:21pm

The early diagnosis of diseases with high accuracy play a critical role in the patient’s treatment. Without using any specialized laboratory, the capability to diagnose a condition has quickly transformed the accessibility to healthcare. Abbott, with its rapid diagnostics business, has made the point of care (POC) testing services available around the world.

Good Health and Well-being

Abbott has invested $130 million to improve healthcare accessibility in Tanzania

Profile mq_amit
Icon time Tue May 12th, 2020 at 11:31am

The economic growth in Tanzania over the last ten years was relatively high with an average of 6 to 7 percent increase in GDP in a year 1. But the growth did not help most of the Tanzanians because almost half of the country’s population earns below $1.90 per day. The increasing population growth is also one the reason for high poverty levels. For the Tanzanian government, it is very challenging to make healthcare services available to everyone with limited resources, weak facilities, and a surprising shortage of doctors (for every 100k people only 3 doctors) 2.